Sunday, 19 September 2010

International Talk Like A Pirate Day

Well, it's here again.  Tomorrow, the 19th of Sept is International Talk Like A Pirate Day.  In honor of this day, here are a few things you can do to take part.  Enjoy!


  • Translate any webpage into pirate speak at Translate-Pirate.  It's hilarious.  I translated our PhamilyNews blog and had a read and was cracking up so much I almost peed my pants!



  • Facebook - those of you on FB can change your language to pirate english.  Login and then go to your account settings > language > choose english (pirate) in the list (it's near the middle/bottom, after all the more 'official' languages).




  • And of course, you can go to the official Talk Like A Pirate website and get the latest.  They also have a Pirate-English dictionary that will help you understand your pirate friends.  Here's an excerpt...


Ahoy! - "Hello!"

Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"

Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did."

Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."

Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!

So there you are, take some time and enjoy the day.  And git yer pirattitude on!

0 comments: