Thursday, 4 November 2010

Monkey See, Monkey Do...

Just recently, our 10 year-old said he has committed to reading through the Bible.  He's starting in Genesis and going through.  And our 8 year-old said she is reading through Revelation every morning.  And that without us telling them to or saying much about it at all - except to say that all Christians should read their Bible.  I think the most telling words from our 8 year old - 'I don't see Daddy reading anything except the Bible!'  She doesn't see me when I am reading commentaries or the news websites or facebook or emails, etc.  All of my 'books' are pretty much digital - except for my Bible.  So obviously that is all she sees.

But that aside, they see me reading my Bible so that is what they do also!  Isn't that the way our faith should be - caught as well as taught?!?


For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake.  And you became followers of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit, so that YOU BECAME EXAMPLES to all in Macedonia and Achaia who believe.


1 Thess 1:5-7 (my emphasis)



Paul writes in 1Cor 11.1 - imitate me as I imitate Christ.  I guess that is what it's all about - following an example and being an example.  Are you an example?  What type of example? (believe me, I also have some bad habits that I don't want my kids to pick up!)

0 comments: