Saturday, 12 November 2011

12km Run For Relief

On 26.Nov, I will be running 12 km to raise money to help the internally displaced peoples (IDP) of Burma.  Did you know that there are about a million people in Burma who are on the run from their own government's military?!  And it's been going on for 40 years!  There are thousands and thousands of KIDS on the run for their lives - many whose parents have been murdered by the Burmese military.  They and thousands of refugees are hiding in the jungles of Burma - trying to simply survive.  Some don't.

So I am CHOOSING to use my feet and to run for those who have NO CHOICE but to run!  Please support them by sponsoring me on this run.  Every $50 that I raise can provide food, clothes and emergency relief for a month, for 5 people who are on the run and in hiding in the jungles of Burma.  Please go to my sponsorship webpage (click this link - David's sponsorship page) and click on the 'donate here' button at the bottom to donate whatever you can - every little bit helps!

This Run For Relief is put on by Partners, an organization that I have had personal contact with through my home church - Calvary Chapel Murrieta.  In fact, my pastor and his wife are good friends with Steve and Oddny Gumaer, founders of Partners.  This organization assists by making people aware of the atrocious conditions in Burma and also with practical relief by sending in teams with emergency relief and supplies.  My pastor and several from our home church have also gone with these teams into the jungles of Burma to serve these IDP.  You can read more and watch videos and testimonies of IDP at the Partners NZ website (www.partnersworld.org.nz) or the main Partners website at (www.partnersworld.org).

So join me on this run - you might not be able to run 12 km, but you can still help by donating!   Or if you CAN run 12 km, then join me on the run - it's not too late to register!  Make a difference either way.

EDIT: there are 2 other options if you want to physically participate.  They have a 7km run and a 7km walk.  The 12km run is basically 2 loops of the 7km run, minus a bit at the start and finish.  So if you want to join me, sign up!  We can do the first loop together and then I can finish the 12km alone.

Jesus said - 'if you have done this for the least of My brothers, then you have done it for me'  (my loose paraphrase of Matt 25.40.  ;-)

PS - When you click on the 'donate' button, you will be taken to the Partners donation page and then to Paypal to donate (but you DON'T need a Paypal account to donate - you can use your debit or credit card).

[caption id="attachment_1225" align="alignleft" width="594" caption="Photo from Partners' Website"][/caption]

0 comments: