Sunday, 29 January 2012

Life-proof!

This morning I accidentally knocked my cell phone into my FULL cup of steaming HOT coffee (don't ask me how that happened - it happened, ok?)   And it was a full-sized cup - not those tiny little dainty cups that you have to stick your pinky out to be able to hold.  No, this was a MAN cup of coffee, just filled up with steaming hot coffee!  And the phone was almost completely submerged - only a centimeter of it was sticking above the coffee.  And it stayed submerged for about 20 seconds as I panicked, not knowing what to do!  Should I stick my fingers into the steaming HOT coffee and risk burning my fingers?  Or should I pick up the cup, run to the kitchen and dump the coffee down the drain (heaven forbid!)?  Oh dilemma of dilemmas - should I save the coffee or the phone?  In the mean time the phone stayed submerged in the hot coffee!

[caption id="attachment_1511" align="alignright" width="344" caption="Takes a beating and keeps on going..."][/caption]

In the end, the coffee was more important than the phone and my fingers.  So, at the risk of burned fingers, I reached in and pulled the phone out of the coffee, dried it off and turned it on!  And it still worked!  So I added some more milk to the coffee and had a good hot cup of joe with my morning reading (have to admit, the coffee did taste a little plasticky, in fact even a wee bit phony - haha I kill myself)!  ;-)

But I got to thinking - this phone is advertised as a ruggedized life-proof phone, meaning it is waterproof, dirt-proof, drop-proof and with a scratch-resistant screen.  I have to say, I have dropped it heaps of times while running.  And onto concrete I might add.  And I have dropped it onto wooden floors, carpeted floors, down stairs, getting out of the car - yes, I am pretty clumsy!  But I have never tested the water-proof feature.

So this morning I decided to take the plunge (haha) and test to see how water-proof this phone really is!  Below is the video of the test. I had some music playing on the phone so you can see that the phone is still working, even underwater.  I did have to shake the phone a few times after getting it out to clear the water out of the speakers.  And since it is a touch screen phone, you'll notice that because of the water on the screen and phone, even touching the edge of the screen caused it to do some weird things like pull up the keyboard.  But over all, after drying it off - and rebooting, it worked immediately.  Wow!

If you ask me - would you buy this phone again?  I would say a big YES!   Because it's life-proof!  Now I only wish life itself was life-proof!  ;-)

WARNING - don't do this to YOUR phone.  Duh!  (Instead do it to your friend's phone!)

 

0 comments: