Thursday, 13 December 2007

As Arnie Would Say - I'll Be Back!

We are back online! Well, kinda. I still have to get the wireless network set up but at least we can log in and check email and such.

Looking back, it has been kinda cool to be 'offline' - we have been without internet for about 3 weeks - count them, 21 long days! And it wasn't so bad at all. Made me think of how addicted we are to being 'always-on'. I wonder how much time we spend/waste online each day? Sure there are things we need to do online - emails, banking, business, work, etc. But how much time is just leisure, just surfing? What would we normally do with that time instead? I read somewhere (probably online ;-) ) that there is a growing number of people, mostly teens who are truly addicted to the internet - online games, chatting, emails, MySpace, etc. Over 10-12 hours a day online, actively doing something is normal for them! WOW! My laptop is normally connected constantly, but I am often away from it, or not doing anything that requires the internet. But 10-12 hours...nope.

In any case, we are somewhat back on, even though it will take a few more days to get everything set back up. We'll post more later. Or maybe we won't and just get offline again. NOT!

ps - how many hours a day are you actively doing something online? Anyone care to time yourself and see?

0 comments: