Thursday, 17 May 2007

Tagged - 10 Facts About Yours Truly

Well, I guess it was inevitable - when you get on the Starr Jr's list, you're gonna get tagged! And so here goes our list of 10 things about us (well at least about me, I'll let Becks do her own list of 10). Oh, it's in random order...

4. My favorite dessert is cranberry and apple pie - Becks started making that a few Thanksgivings ago and it has become my all-time fav! I could eat the whole pie! It even edged out tiramisu (Italian dessert if you didn't know). There's an Italian lady in our fellowship who makes the best tiramisu, but i had to tell her it's #2 on my list for now.

7. I can't swim - never learned. Have no desire. If God wanted me to be in water, He would give me fins and gills.

5. When I get really nervous, it makes me really want to pee. So every Sunday before I get up to teach, I make sure I have gone pee first. In fact, when I asked Becks to court 10 years ago, I had to go pee 3 or 4 times first!

2. Speaking of courting - I asked Becky to court while we were on a day trip to Basel, Switzerland. We were supposed to go with a mutual friend - would have been us 3. But the friend canceled last minute so it was just Becks and me. Hmmm, coincidence? I think not!

8. Becks said I never officially asked her to marry me. I know I did - it was during the Thursday evening Bible study at CCMurrieta and Pastor Brian had invited me up to share a few words about Freiburg. I did, then invited Becks up also. Then I kneeled and proposed. On stage. In front of the whole congregation. So I have hundreds of witnesses. She says she never heard me say 'will you marry me?'. What do you think - were you there that Thursday?

3. I love heights - been bungee-jumping out of a hot air balloon a couple times. Loved rockclimbing. Would love to learn skydiving, hanggliding and ultra-lighting (is that a word?). But alas, neither time nor money permits.

6. Always wanted to live in Australia. Came very close once - I was accepted to the University of Melbourne and had a plane ticket, dorm room and everything all arranged. But never went for reasons I don't want to go into here (got your interest?). Still want to though - but I guess God knows best ;-). We honeymooned in Sydney for a couple weeks - loved it!

10. When we first came to the USA as 'boat people' from Vietnam, the government gave me a name - Franky. Yep, for a while I was Franky Pham! Go ahead, laugh it all out. Ok, wiped the tears away? Got your breath back? When I became an American citizen, I chose the name David. Whew, what a relief to be rid of Franky!

9. Never ever ever ever wanted to be a pastor-teacher (always have dreaded speaking in front of people - as a kid, I used to ditch school when I had to do oral book reports!). Never ever ever ever wanted to live in Germany. Never ever ever ever even intended to go into missions. But I guess God had other plans and changed me and my heart. Thanks God! Can't imagine being or doing anything else!

1. I love blues music. Wish there were more Christian blues. Anyone know of really good blues with a good message?

Ok, that was it - but I don't know 10 OTHER people to tag. Rose kinda tagged us all already! Well I guess I can just tag Jamie N. Go girl!

3 comments:

Starrs In Denver said...

Well David, you were the 2nd guy to do the list. Schaffner beat you to it. Great list...love the out of orderness :) One question for you...if you were meant to fly why don't you have wings? Wink Wink! Swimming is the best...are you gonna let your kids learn?
~Rose
p.s. yeah, sorry for tagging everyone already

onHISturf - dvp said...

sure i want our kids to learn to swim. and you probably don't know this, but i do have wings. i keep them up in 3rd heaven (wink). and my white robe and crown is stored there for another day also (another wink). onHISturf - david

Anonymous said...

You know, Franky, I was there when you proposed to your lovely bride. I remember you opening up the ring box and getting down on one knee, but I don't remember the words, "Becky, will you marry me?" Did you really say them?????

Love,
Grandma Jan

P.S. What was your first name in Vietnam?