Thursday, 21 February 2008

Voices

Do you hear voices? Or rather, should I ask 'what voices DO you hear?'. We all hear voices. The important question is which voice do we LISTEN to. Obviously I am not talking about little voices in our head (although if that is the case with you, maybe you should pray about getting professional help!).

I am talking about the 'voices' all around that scream to us throughout the day. 'Voices' that come from our culture, the media, our circumstances, our fleshy nature. But there is also the voice of our enemy, the devil and his gang. That can't be ruled out. And of course the most important voice is that of God's. The voice of truth.

I was listening to Casting Crowns' song - 'Voice of Truth' and it got me to thinking. Part of the lyrics talks about Peter stepping out of the boat onto the water and walking ON the water WITH Jesus. Obviously Peter obeyed Jesus' voice when He said 'come'. But did you ever think about all the other voices Peter could have listened to? Here are a few...

1. Voice of the other 11 disciples - 'don't do it Peter man! Don't be a fool! What are you thinking! Stop showing off again! You just want to be teacher's pet!'

2. Voice of logic, reason - 'they're right, what are you thinking of? This is totally illogical! You're a fisherman - you know this is impossible!'

3. Voice of Fear - 'you're gonna sink and drown! This is it - the end, finito - hope your last will and testament is up to date!'

4. Voice of Shame - 'when you do sink, what will the other 11 think of me now? Worse, what will the Master think - Peter you did it again, idiot!'

5. Voice of the enemy - 'go ahead Peter, do it. Don't listen to them, not even that guy Jesus. Just do it, you know you want to, show them what you can do, you're better than them. Just listen to your instincts. Or better, listen to me - have I ever steered you wrong??'

6. Voice of circumstances - as Casting Crowns so aptly sung...

But the waves are calling out my name
and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
time and time again
"Boy, you'll never win,
you'll never win."

And then there was the voice of God, the voice of truth. As Jesus said 'come' I am sure that awoke in Peter indescribable feelings. I believe that one word from Jesus drowned out all the other 'voices' around Peter. And Peter listened and obeyed. And he experienced the greatest feeling of all - and I'm not just talking about walking on water (although I have to admit that would have been pretty cool). I am talking about the exhilaration that comes from walking by faith and not by sight!

Isn't that what we are all called to do? To simply listen to Jesus, obey Him and walk by faith and not by sight (2Cor 5.7)? But first we must listen for His voice, don't we? Are you listening? Can you hear the voice of truth?




If the video isn't working or the wrong video (it should be the Casting Crowns song), here is the actual link to the video.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

THIS ONE IS MY FAVORITE POST.... EVER!

onHISturf - dvp said...

hi sissy,

tanx! been a lot going on here in us and this was what i taught on today in service. god is good, he's been challenging us to listen to his voice and to obey. and it is exciting!

Anonymous said...

This was excellent David! I know of two girls I am going to email and have them check out your little sermon. I guess it always boils down to putting our complete trust in Him. Not easy to do -- but so necessary.

Love,
Grandma Jan

Anonymous said...

Hi David & Becky!
Thanks for sharing the study and the song...
did you get my email...
let me know
thanks, Lori

onHISturf - dvp said...

which email lori? to which address did you send it? you can send to kamileon1 at gmail dot com

onHISturf - dvp said...

ps - the last couple of posts were notes from a series of teaching i am doing. it's about stepping out of the boat. you can download the mp3's at http://www.ccfreiburg.de/predigtarchiv.html

just download the last 3 with my name on them.