Thursday, 14 August 2008

Prayer Requests

Wow, we can't believe it's been 2 and a half weeks that we have been here in SoCal already. We are doing well, enjoying the weather - sunny and over 35 degrees Celsius almost everyday. Feels almost like vacation / furlough - but the reality that it is not is beginning to settle in. The kids start school in 3 weeks and we are running around trying to get all the stuff they need for school together. And still trying to get a few small things to turn the house into a home. ;-)

Also it just somehow feels different being here this time - probably because we know in the back of our minds that we are living here and not just on furlough. Sometimes I just feel disoriented - emotionally and physically. I know that is part and parcel of the whole 're-entry' process and culture shock but it's still weird. At times it feels like it's a dream and I'll wake up in my bed in Freiburg. Other times it hits really hard that this is for reals and I start to panic and wonder 'what the heck are we doing here?! did I hear God correctly?' Weird.

One example of the difference of SoCal life - I forgot how huge the streets are! In some residential neighborhoods, the streets are as wide across as the Autobahn! And that's only 2 lanes - 1 in each direction! And the freeways here SEEM like they are half a kilometer wide - with 4 and sometimes 5 and 6 lanes in each direction! It's like driving in a sea of cars.

And we have to drive everywhere - to the market, stores, school, church, playground, etc. The kids keep asking why we have to drive so much - Zachie asks if he can ride his laufrad! And Dariah often screams 'nein, nein, no!!!' when we put her in her car seat to go somewhere - (Auntie Doro, you need to come and talk to her).

But all in all, it has been a good first couple of weeks. We have enjoyed connecting with friends and family again. Which has made the culture shock less intense. I couldn't imagine coming back to SoCal and not knowing anyone and having to figure everything out on our own!

Anyways, for me, I have started looking around for a job, but haven't had much luck. The economy isn't doing that well and jobs that I qualify for are far and few in between. But I still have confidence that God will provide one for us. So pray with us - here are a few things to bring before the Lord...

1. quick adjustment to life here
2. job for David
3. car/van for the Phamily

6 comments:

Silke und Jon said...

Hi David & Phamily,

Great to receive news from you! Thanks for the e-mail and small video. We're still busy here in our new environment as well, trying to fit in and settle into our new home. Work is going well (although it is often boring, which in itself is a challenge to keep me motivated) and the apartment looks more and more like a home rather than just a building. Thanks again for your helping hand with the furniture. I'd like to write more, but we're off to go paddle-boating in downtown Heilbronn on the Neckar -- today is Abigail's birthday, she's three, now.

I'll keep in touch.

Jon

beckwanda said...

hi, becky,
where are you guys?
i'll be praying for you. let me know when you are up for that steak dinner. by the way, david can always be a pampered chef consultant...
hahaha!

The Four Harts said...

hi Pham-ily, welcome to So Cal!!! We are also here enjoying our furlough, although our trip took 40hours to get here, remember the Lufthansa strike? well, we were on it!! bummer.
do you guys have a phone number? we would love to call you to make plans. we'll be coming out to temecula next week wednesdaz night. maybe we can meet on friday on our way out... god bless. anja

Anonymous said...

Hi there!!! :) Hey, greetings from Stockholm as long as I'm still there! Will fly back tomorrow and hope I can send off my little B-Day greetz to Jesaiah on time! :) If not, let him know it's coming!
We miss you! Grea to hear you are well - but yes, I feel with you... must be strange and weird to be over there for real... I sure hope I can come see your place myself pretty soon - internet here is a bit slow and won't let me watch the little tour of the house. Ya, actually, I don't care about the house so much if only there will be a guest lounge with a whirlpool and my own backyard as well as the outdoor pool, in pink, please! Ya, and as long as Davey gets to stay in the dog house while I am there! That's all - generally I am pretty low-maintenance, don't you just love that about me?? :D

LOve you all bunches!!
anja

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

you are missed, we are praying! Many from the missions conference asked about you...and we all miss you!!!

Jacque

onHISturf - dvp said...

hi all, tanx for your prayers and support! we need it as this week seems to be tougher. :-(

hopkins - great to hear from you. settled in yet?

beckwanda - email us your cell phone number. our email is david(at)phamilynews(dot)com - obviously you replace (at) and (dot) with the actual symbols

harts - do you have a cell phone? email the number to us at above email.

smiles - actually you can stay in the doghouse - i painted it pink already and just waiting for you or your roommate to come.

jacque - yeah, we miss you guys too. and freiburg. and ccf and everything else. but we know this is where god has us for now, so we are content.