Thursday, 21 June 2007

Crucified with Christ

After Wed night service, some of us had headed over to the JuCa (youth cafe - although it's not just for the youth on Wed nights) to sit and talk. As we were sitting there, in came 3 guys from the streets (they were also in service). My first reaction was - 'wow, they smell like beer, sweat (it's been really hot and humid here this week) and other body fluids.' But as they sat down, my second reaction was - 'hey, cool that they feel welcome and that the people around them don't even notice anything so odd about them.'

I sometimes wonder what the disciples did when Jesus touched the lepers. Was it 'normal' for them? Or did they roll their eyes when a leper came near? Or pretend to gag from the smell? I guess it doesn't matter when you see people getting healed, saved, touched. That is what matters.

In any case, as I was getting ready to leave, I stopped at their table to say 'hi' and 'bye' but ending up talking for a long while with one of the three - a young man from Tunisia (northern Africa - see map) who had recently converted from Islam (Islam is the state religion of Tunisia). He shared about how he has been attacked and ridiculed by other Muslims since he made a decision for Jesus. He said that one Muslim came up to him recently and tried to convert him back to Islam, but he looked the Muslim in the eyes and said 'don't talk to me about that, I made a decision to follow Jesus and I will not go back!' That Muslim has since left him alone. WOW.

So please pray for him - although this young man has accepted Jesus, God still has much to do with and in him. There is a whole past life of living on the streets, drinking, sexual sin, etc that needs to be brought under the Lordship of Jesus. He (we all) need to daily be crucified with Christ.

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. Gal 2.20

0 comments: