Friday, 15 June 2007

Sommer GrillAbend (Summer BBQ)

This past Sunday afternoon / evening after service, we headed out to a local open field where we often do BBQ's and lit up the fires and grilled and just enjoyed the time together as the Body of Christ. I really enjoyed getting to know some of the newer people as well as catching up with some of the ol' faithfuls. As I was just walking around and talking with people, it remined me again that ministry / church can take place anywhere - as long as we are open, flexible and willing to serve.

Walking from one group to the next, I would try to make eye contact with people, just to let them know I was available, that I was here for them. I talked to an older couple who are actually from another church but all their teenage kids come to our youth group. They have been to our church for a while now and love it and are thinking about switching to CCF - they said that even though they don't 'belong' to our church, they are so amazed at our love and acceptance of them. It's hard for them because they were almost 20 years in the other church and were part of the group that started that church!
I talked to one young lady who has been in the fellowship for almost 2 years now and has never talked to me before. She shared almost her whole life story with me in the 20 minutes that we talked! Then I spent another 5-10 minutes explaining spiritual gifts to another young lady - she had a few questions and thought this might be the perfect time to ask.

Another young couple shared about their recent vacation to Sicily and they were so excited to talk about it. Going over to the fire, I got to talk with the 'grillmeister' for a couple minutes, thanking him and encouraging him. Then another lady (who has been a part of the fellowship longer than I have!) came up and I got to hold her baby for a while as I talked to her and just encouraged her to keep going. The baby has a difficult time eating/nursing/drinking and gets all his nourishment through a rubber tube inserted into his nose and down into his stomach - it has been a hard time for him and his parents.

Then I spent 20 minutes talking to a young man who has recently started a relationship with his long-time school friend. I encouraged him to keep it pure, to take it slow and just enjoy the non-physical friendship (I know, I know, easier said than done for a 19 year old guy and an 18 year old girl!). But they are both great kids and love the Lord dearly (both are really evangelists - after he accepted the Lord, he shared with his mom and she gave her life to Jesus too!).

And all the while as I was walking and talking, I had Dariah in one arm, with Zachie running back and forth between Becks and me and his 'aunties' and me trying to get the kids set up with Würstchen (German hot dogs) and bread. Yet, it wasn't stressful - in fact it was really 'locker' (relaxed and easy-going).

As I look back, it occurred to me that I was doing exactly what a real shepherd would have done with his flock out in the fields under the stars on some warm summer night. He would walk around to each of the sheep, spend a few minutes with each to see how they were faring. If a thorn needed to be pulled out, he would do it. If flies were bothering a sheep, he would take care of it. If a sheep was sick, he would lovingly care for it. If a sheep was hurt, he would bind up the wound and comfort it.

If a sheep was lost, he would go looking for it and guide it back to the flock. If a sheep was being stubborn or rebellious, he would correct it. That was the life of a shepherd. And he did it because he loved the sheep. He wanted these sheep to know (well, as much as sheep can know anything!) that he was there for them and that he would lay down his life for them.

That evening, that was how I felt - God didn't call me to be a shepherd because he needed a hero. He didn't choose me because of any great talents or abilities (I know that for a fact!) nor because of my charming personality and charisma nor because of my good looks (no matter how much I want to think so!).
He needed someone who would take care of His sheep, His people for Him. He needed someone who would love and care for His sheep. He needed an empty, broken, earthen vessel made out of dirt, mud and water. That's why He chose me to have this privilege of caring for His sheep. And I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.

3 comments:

Starrs In Denver said...

Church in the park! I love it! Nothing better than fellowship and food :)
Thanks for sharing...wonderful to read.
~Rose and fam

onHISturf - dvp said...

hi rose, yeah, it was good for us - for me to just connect with the new people especially. I loved just talking to them and getting to know them. good for them also to see me out from behind the pulpit (well, music stand - we don't have a pulpit).

Pastor Matt said...

Hey Phams! Great to see your blog. God bless you guys. It's been ages since we saw you last.

Blessings!