Tuesday, 9 October 2007

And We Know...

We have all read this verse 100 times. We have it memorized perhaps. But I think most of us read this verse so - 'all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose' Rom 8.28. That was how I learned it at first.

But that is not what it actually says in this verse. There is a very important phrase that most of us leave out. Probably most of us don't think much of this phrase. Go back and read your Bible - I'll wait. Here's a link to this verse from Blue Letter Bible if you want to open it in another window. Ok, have you read it yet? What is that phrase?

The all important phrase at the beginning says - 'and we know that all things...'! Why do we leave that out when we quote this verse? To me over the last few years this phrase has become more and more meaningful. In fact, the rest of this verse doesn't have the same impact if we take out this phrase. See,the FACT is we CAN KNOW that God is working all things out for good. It is 100% fact - a fact that we can rely upon. It is a fact that brings comfort, encouragement, hope and meaning into every situation - good ones but especially the 'bad' ones.

Over the years as pastor, I have counseled people who were undergoing tremendous trials and suffering. And I admit often (most of the time) I don't have an answer for them. Often I don't know why they have cancer, I don't know why their child is suffering healthwise, I don't know why their parents reject them. There are many things I don't know. But this I do know - I know that I know God. And I KNOW that He is in the process of working out their situation for good. His Word says so. I believe it.

Anyways, here's an exercise that will bring the point of this post home. Take the negatve of that verse - read it like this...'and we CANNOT EVER KNOW that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.' Now do you see what I mean? So next time you're in a trial, read ALL of Romans 8.28.

6 comments:

beckwanda said...

Ok, I will read it right now thanks. I was just encouraging a friend today with this very verse and SHE reminded ME about the "and we know" part. Hmmm... think someone is trying to tell me something???

beckwanda said...

ok i thought you said to read all of romans 8 (not just 8:28).
i have always been an overachiever. or is it overdoer? or overdramatic?
or overthetop?
hahaha.
how about romans 8:18 for a little perspective. yikes.
and then the wrap up in romans 8:37 with the gravy on top in romans 8:38
it is so humbling to see how gracious our God is and how much He loves us. i really appreciate you sharing that verse. i can't wait to talk to my friend tomorrow. i know she will be encouraged too.
ok, i am going to go read it again.
night night and hi to becky.
-b

onHISturf - dvp said...

i think it's overdramatic. ;-)
god is gracious no doubt. that's why we're still here.

how's johnny?

onHISturf - dvp said...

ps - the 'knowing' gives us assurance. of god, of his everlasting love, ready forgiveness, sovereignty, endless grace.

beckwanda said...

amen to that. johnny is doing well. we are working on respectful tones of voices and attitudes. it's a family project. please pray for us. also, he loves the hymn rock of ages and sings it all the time, anywhere, in line at the grocery store, you name it. funny. i didn't even really teach it to him, he picked it up from church and listening to a cd.
update on the Lord using your blog encouragement of romans 8- went to a girlfriend's house friday and we did a mini study on the chapter and some aforementioned key verses. the hits just keep on coming...
woo-hoo!

beckwanda said...

oh- friend i did the study with is same friend mentioned in the first post. lovely girl.