Friday, 5 October 2007

Waiting Room 'Appointments'

I had to take Dariah to the doctor today for her 1 year old healthy baby check-up (yes she is almost 1 year old already! I can't believe it!). The appointment was made weeks ago, so of course I can't plan the unexpected stuff, like Jesaiah getting out of school earlier than usual or Davey having to be at the office earlier than usual. So due to 'scheduling conflicts' I called the doctor this morning and asked if we could come earlier or later, I just couldn't do 11:30 since Jesaiah was getting out at 12. So they said I could come right then. At least we were all ready to go! I dropped Davey at the office and Zachy, Dariah and I headed to the Dr's office.

I pretty much always speak English to my kids, where ever we are, especially Zachy because he doesn't understand much German yet. I've had people comment (or ask, about the language, what it is, and if our kids are growing up bilingual) at the playground or places like that where the kids are playing together. But never, in the ten years that we have lived here, has a perfect stranger overheard me speaking English to the kids and asked if she can call and come over so the kids can play together!

I've had aquantinces ask if their kids can come over and play and maybe pick up a bit of English, but this was a complete stranger in the waiting room of the Dr.'s office. She even apologized that she was so forward, but I told her not to be sorry, I would never know she wanted English contact if she didn't ask!! We only got to talk briefly before we were called in, but her family (husband and 2 kids - 4 years old and 1-ish) lived in London for a while and the four year old went to kindergarten there and got pretty fluent in English, and they would like to keep that up. So I gave her my number and told her to call anytime, so that we can get together and the kids can play.

I love though how God arranges it all, if I had kept my original appointment I never would have met this woman. I don't know anything about her, but God obviously had a reason for me meeting her and I look forward to finding out (maybe) what it is!

2 comments:

beckwanda said...

interesting!
keep us posted...

Starrs In Denver said...

Love it when God sets those appointments for us! I pray they would get a glimpse of God through interacting with you and your kiddos :)
~Rose