Tuesday, 2 September 2008

Filling Empty Hands and Hearts

In this time when I don't have a job and have more free time, I have been helping out with our church's Feeding Ministry. It's an awesome ministry - the volunteers gather food, household items, clothes and other stuff donated by local stores and hand them out to needy families in our area. And you would be amazed at how many families come to take advantage of this. On average about 130 families come to receive material help, but also to receive prayer, encouragement and counseling when needed.

While the food is being handed out, there is a team of people who go through the lines and ask people if they need prayer and pray for them on the spot. Also, the pastor who leads the ministry gives a short message before the food is handed out. A couple weeks ago, about a dozen people came forward to accept the Lord - AWESOME!

In this period when the economy is down, this ministry has really helped to supplement and support these families. I talked to one school teacher who has had her work hours cut back and is making less money now. Her utilities (water, electricity, phone, etc) have been shut off because she couldn't pay the bills. Her car will be taken away soon if she can't pay the bill on that. And without her car, she can't get to work to make the money to pay her bills! What a vicsous cycle!

Another young lady I talked to has been looking for work for a while now but no luck (I know that feeling!). One young man just returned from Iraq - he did three tours of duty in the Marines. But now he isn't working, lives with his parents, feels totally disoriented, doesn't fit in and just wants to talk to someone (wow, we have a lot in common!). I had a good talk with him - we hit it off quickly and he wants to meet again to talk more. Pray for him! Maybe God will use his difficult situation to bring this young man into a relationship with Him!

I truly can feel for these people - I understand to some degree the thoughts, fears, worries, anxieties that they go through. I know they wonder how they will feed their loved ones, where they will live, what they will do tomorrow. I know because I have the same thoughts and worries. I know where they are coming from.

But I also KNOW that I have a Savior who loves me and will provide for us. I KNOW that my Savior will never leave me nor forsake me. And this Savior can do the same for them. And that is the message we share with them every week.

2 comments:

Rose Starr said...

Glad to hear more about that ministry...so cool and beautiful to hear God stories from you :D

praying the right job comes your way asap!
~Rose and the rest of the family

onHISturf - dvp said...

thanks rose! so when does desi come to socal? hope we could get together with him.

ciao