Friday, 26 September 2008

Kid's Ministry

Now I am not talking about Children's Ministry with that title above, but about kids actually getting out there and ministering to others. So often we think that kids can't do anything, that they can only receive (i.e. in a Children's Ministry setting for example). We think that they are too young, not able or simply don't want to minister. But in all actuality - they can and do want to!

I took the two older kids with me this week when I went to help out at the Feeding Ministry. This is the second time they went with me and had been asking for the last few weeks to go again. So right after they got home from school, we went out to help set up. They helped get the tables set up, then the tent / pavillions set up. When the truck delivered the food, they helped unload and sort the food. And lastly, they stood for an hour handing out food to the people who came thru. Taliah handed out cat food and Jesaiah got to hand out bags of something that I have no idea what it was! But they loved it!

My desire was for them to see how blessed they / we are - we have food, clothes, beds, shelter. And to be thankful and count our blessings. And I think they are beginning to see that more and more. They really were good helpers today. Next time, I will take them with me when we pray for the people - as the people are waiting to get the food, we go down the line and ask if anyone needs prayer. Then we simply bring their request before the Lord. It's interesting the people you meet - this week I met a lady in her 70's who had eye surgery (cataracts) - and guess what, she's German! She married an American (Ammie to you Germans) and has lived in the USA for the last almost 50 years! And her husband died back in 1972 (I think - anyways it was a long time ago) and she has been alone since.

Another lady I met was a psychologist for the State of California, but is out of work now. Two years ago, one of her patients got angry and tackled her from behind, injuring her back. The State gave her 2 years to recover / be healed and come back to work. She didn't recover in time so they laid her off. She now has no house and lives in her truck with her dog (a GERMAN shepherd). Wow.

So yes, we are totally blessed and can and do count our blessings every day. All I can say is 'but for the grace of God, there go I'. Or you. Have you counted your blessings today? Today, have you thanked God for the food you ate, the bed you slept in, the clothes you wore (and got dirty) the friends and family you have around you or the life you have? Conviction.

0 comments: