Thursday, 12 July 2007

Eltern Abend!!!

I had my first Eltern Abend (parents night) last night at Jesaiah's school where he'll be starting in September. There was so much information, and just trying comprehend it all in German wore me out!! The microphone wasn't loud enough so I had to really strain sometimes to hear what they were saying.
Going to school here is a big deal. All the new first graders get 'bags' of goodies (Schultüte) (they actually look like a dunce caps turned upside down and filled) and they have a welcoming ceremony (einschulung)where they are greeted by the teachers and other staff (I think). Jesaiah's einschulung is going to be on Sept 12 and his first day of school then is the 13th.
I know that I would probably be having a lot of the same emotions if we lived in the US and he was starting school, but I think I am even more 'emotional' (or however you want to put it) because it is all so foriegn to me. The school here has a very good reputation and i know that he will get a good education, it is just very different than the way I remember school...which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;).
In any case he is ready and excited. I am still working on teaching him to read and write English here at home, hopefully we will finish our book before he starts school. He will be adding a 3rd language to his 'repertoire' come September. They start teaching French here in the 1st grade! It is done mostly with games, songs and pictures, but by the end of the year most kids at least know a few words and how to say 'my name is'. So it will be interesting to see how well he picks it up and if he likes it or not.
So we are getting geared up for school! I will post some pictures of the einschulung when we have some, in the mean time please pray for Jesaiah that he will have a good start in school and that we will adjust well as a Phamily to the changes. Ich bin ganz aufgeregt! (I am so excited, nervous, all of a dither (just a few translations of aufgeragt... it's a great word!))

1 comments:

Starrs In Denver said...

Congrats to Jesaiah and the rest of the Phamily! School is so fun!
~Rose